Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Video Journalism and Activism


A blog post today over at left click blog analyzed what I think is one of the more exciting aspects of the changing face of video journalism. While television journalism was routed in an often cheesy and artificial form and print journalism has had various traditions governing its form for centuries, the form of video and digital journalism is still being developed and open for experimentation.

Left click blog took this fact to the next step and argued that because of this opportunity for experimentation, video journalism is a medium that is ripe for social activism. In fact, Dave Riley goes so far as to say that "formality collapses" with video journalism. I think that this is a perfect way to describe the current freedom and room for creativity found in the medium, and I would argue that that lack of a constrictive formality will be an overall good thing for journalism as a whole.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Spurnalist,

    You have a great site! A lot of great reading material (just bookmarked it). My name is Lisa, and I work with the website ZooCaro.

    I just came across your site and am very interested in exchanging links. As you know, reciprocal linking benefits both of us by raising our search rankings and generating more traffic to both of our sites. I am trying to help spread the word about our new College-Site.com site, which helps college grads find jobs. Please post a link to my Job Search site as follows:

    Title: College-Site.com
    URL: http://www.college-site.com/
    Description: Helping College students and graduates connect with potential employers!

    Once you've posted the link, let me know the URL of the page that it's on, and I will post it on our site.You can reply to me at izoocaro@gmail.com

    Thank you very much,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete